Straight away a disclaimer about the pic – it wasn’t a woman who did it, it was a man. The woman who pulled up was full of helpfulness – she was actually terrific, offering to take me to hospital etc. The pic I grabbed now was the first one and couldn’t be a-ed looking for another.
Apart from blood coming off different strips of skin, I’m fine, nothing broken but the trousers got a bit soaked and the carpet’s just taken a few drops. That’s about it apart from the bruised hip. The forearm’s beginning to throb now but I consider I got off lightly.
Interesting thing to me is that when you find yourself in these situations, what goes through your mind. I’ll run you through it.
1. Coming out of the carpark, turning left and there was a guy in a fast car whom I’m sure saw me. Now usually I wear specs for the road but today I wore sunnies and of course, the driver can’t see your eyes and you can’t see his.
I should have realized but hindsight’s a wonderful thing, is it not?
2. So he comes way too close and was going to hit me, I tightened my angle turning left, wheels went from under me and next thing I know I’m bouncing along the asphalt [why do they keep the stones near the edge?] into him.
He was pretty good though and jammed on the brakes – the reason he’d been so close is that a lady was trying to get through as well the other way. I usually see all these things but the bloody sunnies took vision away – I’ll not do that again.
3. Anyway, I end up at his bumper but not under after a nice little slide, he leaps out, the lady leaps out of her car and next they’re all around me. another guy comes over, an older guy. The whole time up till now, NO thoughts went through the mind, none. No life flashing before the eyes, nothing.
Now they did:
1. First thought was I’m alive. Second that the head’s fine – I always get that out of the way first and sacrifice the limbs – car guy goes on and on and on about getting a helmet – if I’d wanted a bloody lecture I’d … never mind. He was only concerned.
2. Third thought was my sunnies – they cost a mint and I can’t afford another pair – they were designer. [Yeah, yeah, I know]. Fourth thought was my new trousers – they’re my work trousers and I can’t afford another pair of them – didn’t appear to be torn but I knew part of the leg was off, probably the skin. Still, all OK and I tell the lady I’m OK, that I’m just getting my breath, that I’m pretty fit, which she agreed with and then it was time to get up.
3. Fifth thought was the bike and the car guy was also a cyclist so this was his main concern. Unfortunately, there is a bit of damage to my lovely bike. Haven’t checked it yet – shall do that later, too much to do first.
Realize that unless I keep moving, the leg’s going to seize up – knew something was not quite right there.
So, went to the bank, did the shopping for the weekend and am tossing up whether to work tomorrow. Probably better to to keep active. Not absolutely sure what to do with the left arm though – pinpoints of blood are springing up now pretty well up and down it and I don’t want to put a dressing on it cause it will kill [be painful and I'm a sook].
Blessings – alive, saw people are very kind, football team N4 was leading N1 and that means we, little us, can now go top unless we do something stupid tomorrow plus we play the team that won today next week and they’ll be b***ered after two top games in two weeks.
So, bit of adventure, readers. Had a quick look for anything needing stitches – don’t think so, all contusions and grazes. Amazed the skin on the leg fell off [a bit] and the trousers stood up and weren’t even laddered. Knew they were a good purchase. Hip now feels fine, nothing broken anywhere, did my back in a little but that happens a bit anyway.
OK, best go and do some things. More later.
Damn, just checked and N1 just pipped N4 at the post. We’re 2nd if we can win tomorrow.
Filed under: Society & human issues