This is humbly submitted as some base knowledge most people on either side of the pond could perhaps be expected to be au fait with. Score half a mark for each:
1. What does VTOL mean when applied to an aircraft?
2. What does the sign of the three brass balls signify?
3. What is a song for two called?
4. What was different about Peter Pan?
5. What is the white part of an egg called?
6. For which country is the shamrock the symbol?
7. Which element has atomic number 2?
8. If the Echidna is a monotreme, what is the other one with a funny shape?
9. What is the difference between infectious and contagious?
10. Who played Hermione Granger in the Harry Potter films?
11. Name one of the seven wonders of the ancient world.
12. In Botticelli’s ‘The Birth of Venus’, what is Venus standing on?
13. It is long and thin and near the coast. It actually elected a communist leader years ago and is next door to a country whose colours are light blue and white. It might sound cold but in fact it crosses many climactic regions from warm to cool.
14. Which Shakespeare play has “the quality of mercy is not strained”?
15. Greater love hath no man than this…. . Complete.
16. What are RAM and ROM? What is CPU?
17. Which N. African seaport is Spanish for white house?
18. In which financial district is the Bank of England?
19. What’s the major mountain range inland of the eastern US seaboard?
20. How many people take part in the quadrille dance?
How did you do?
Filed under: Diversions